If you enjoy working with people and care about animals and the environment, Aquarium of the Bay might be the right place for you to work.
To apply for any of the jobs listed below, please send a cover letter mentioning the job title for which you are applying, along with your resume to the email address below the job description or fax it to 415.623.5324.
No phone calls, please.
Responsible for the overall management of the Retail Department, which includes all the buying, visual merchandising, staffing and other related merchandising functions for the retail business of the Aquarium of the Bay.
- Responsible for all aspects of purchasing for the retail stores with emphasis on acquiring products that will have strong consumer appeal and sales, negotiation and authorization of purchase costs, setting retail prices to most appropriate level, establishing discount terms, freight and delivery arrangements and a other associated expenses while adhering to aquarium and division purchasing policies and procedures.
- Coordinates with the Senior Operations Manager and Director of Operations on the planning of the merchandise selection that addresses the financial, legal and ethical goals and considerations of the aquarium. Oversees all the product development projects of the department.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the Aquarium retail stores. Directly supervises Retail Associates and Stock Clerk including counseling, coaching and performance evaluations.
- Schedules adequate staff according to established staffing guidelines
- Coordinates with the Senior Operations Manager and Director of Operations on the development and implementation of the detailed financial plans, including the annual revenue budget of the retail business, and expense and capital project budgets for the Retail Department.
- Consistently review store and product performance and utilize information to continuously improve all areas related to merchandise sales, employee performance and customer service.
- Responsible for coordinating with Stock Clerk and/or Retail Associates the delivery of product and stocking of merchandise
- Responsible for the orientation and training of new employees, assuring that each employee is properly and thoroughly trained to perform his/her duties
- Primary contact for day-to-day retail point-of-sale operations and supplies. Works with IT Department on preventative maintenance and trouble shooting
- Responsible for maintaining all shops in a clean, attractive, functioning and highly marketable condition
- Responsible for providing each aquarium visitor uncompromised hospitality and quality service
|Position Accountabilities||Weighted %|
1. Directly supervises the Retail Associates’ performance toensure a quality experience and total guest satisfaction.
|2. Performs all the buying for the Retail Stores||50%|
|3. Visual Merchandising of all the Retail Stores||10%|
|Retail Associates||12 off-peak/20 peak season|
Minimum experience/education requirements:
- College degree and/or equivalent work experience with emphasis in retail
- Minimum of 3 years supervisorial/management experience in retail environment
- Buying and Visual Merchandising experience necessary
- Employee training and safety (guest and employee)
- Basic math and computer including problem-solving skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate well and work with all types of people
- Ability to multitask and be very flexible
- Assists Director of Operations as needed with all aspects of human resources including, but not limited to; recruiting, conducting reference checks, hiring, training, employee counseling, evaluations, terminations, payroll functions, and record keeping
- Maintains a close relationship with other Aquarium staff to insure a positive working environment
- Assists management with insuring compliance with all Aquarium of the Bay and government regulations regarding employment and safety
Guest Services Associate
As a Guest Services Associate you are responsible for accurate ticket and merchandise sales transactions in all our ticket booths, retails stores and theater, with a heavy emphasis placed on guest interaction. The GS Associate role is the first and last point of contact a guest has with the Aquarium and is seen as the “face” of our organization; it’s up to you to provide a friendly, helpful and welcoming atmosphere through engaging service, thorough knowledge of all our products and an enthusiasm for our institution. This position has a variety of responsibilities and has potential for growth. Please click here to review the full job description. Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.