Beach and Coastal Cleanups
This year’s California Coastal Cleanup Day is Saturday, September 17, 2016
Aquarium of the Bay is excited to continue the tradition of partnering with SF Maritime National Historical Park and Shark Stewards to celebrate Coastal Cleanup Day. Join us and be a coastal hero in support of a trash-free Bay!
1. Sign up to cleanup at Aquatic Park (For groups larger than 20 people, please call 415.262.4725 to register).
*This site does fill up quickly. Please consider helping elsewhere in the city or around the Bay Area – all local site registrations can be found here: www.parksconservancy.org/ccd
2. Be prepared for a fun day, rain or shine!
· Bring your own reusable supplies – bucket, work gloves, reusable water bottle – if you have them. This reduces the amount of waste created by the cleanup event.
· Wear comfortable layers, closed-toe shoes (no sandals), sunscreen, and a hat.
3. Arrive at Aquatic Park at 9 am on Saturday, September 17 and be a coastal hero in support of a trash-free Bay!
Special thanks to Orchard Supply Hardware for providing cleanup supplies and to Biscoff Coffee Corner for fueling us – we encourage you to bring a reusable mug if you drink coffee.
For more information about Coastal Cleanup Day throughout San Francisco: www.parksconservancy.org/ccd
For more information about Coastal Cleanup Day throughout California: www.coast4u.org
We love working with you and other dedicated volunteers to pick up everyday items like straws, wrappers, cigarette butts, and other plastic trash from harming our ecosystem. Cleanups are one important part of the solution to marine debris, but there are other actions you can take too. Reducing the amount of trash we generate is the ultimate solution, so using your reusable bags, bottles, and mugs are excellent daily habits to maintain. You can also avoid plastic straws and utensils; and look for products that minimize packaging waste. Kudos if you are already developing these habits!
Thank you again for being a coastal hero and helping to keep trash out of San Francisco Bay. We hope to see you again at a future coastal cleanup!
Check out some photos from our recent World Oceans Day cleanup.