To and Beyond the Aquarium
Directions and Parking
Visit www.511.org to get directions for using public transit to visit Aquarium of the Bay. The historic E and F Lines stop right across the street from our entrance.
Buses may only pick-up and drop-off in the PIER 39 passenger and taxi-loading zone on a space available basis. This loading zone runs directly in front of the Aquarium. Busses in the loading zone are restricted from idling for more than 5 minutes for loading and un-loading within the city of San Francisco. Short-term bus parking near the Aquarium is permitted for up to 2 hours in the following areas:
The west side of Mason Street between Beach and North Point Streets
The north side of North Point Street between Mason and Taylor Streets
The east side of Hyde Street between Jefferson and Beach Streets
- The east side of Jones Street just north of Beach Street.
Aquarium of the Bay does not sell food or drinks. There are many eateries at PIER 39, or your group can bring bag lunches on their field trip. There is a lawn/park area with benches located along the waterfront immediately east of the Aquarium. Please note that the Aquarium does not have storage facilities for lunches.
Other Things to Do and SeePIER 39 is one of San Francisco’s top destinations, with more than 110 stores, 11 full service restaurants, numerous entertainment attractions, and beautiful Bay views. For more information, call 415.705.5500 or visit PIER 39's website.
Sea Lion Center:
- The famous PIER 39 sea lions can be found on the west side of PIER 39 on K-Dock. The Sea Lion Center is free for all guests who visit PIER 39 and your class can use self-guided observation in viewing the sea lions.
- Ferry service for Angel Island, Bay Cruise, Sausalito, Tiburon, Alameda/Oakland, and Vallejo.
- Phone: 415.705.8200
- Hyde Street at Jefferson Street
- Historic Ships available 10:00am-5:00pm;
- Reservations required; phone: 415.556.3002
- Students will have the opportunity to observe historical ships that have graced the waterfront throughout history. This trip is outdoors and not appropriate during the rainy season.
- 900 Beach Street at Polk Street
- Reservations required two weeks in advance; phone: 415.556.3002
- The history of the Pacific Coast, San Francisco Bay, and the whaling industry are depicted in this wonderful museum. Students can enjoy the beach afterward at Aquatic Park, located behind the museum.
- Information: http://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/bathhousebuilding.htm.
- Pier 45
- Reservations required; phone: 415.775.1943
- The USS Pompanito is a retired submarine docked at Pier 45. Students explore the submarine's intricate interior on this guided tour.