To-and Beyond-the AquariumTransportation
Directions and car parking:
Please visit our Directions page.
Busses may only pick-up and drop-off in the PIER 39 passenger and taxi-loading zone on a space available basis. This loading zone runs directly in front of the Aquarium. Busses in the loading zone are restricted from idling for more than 5 minutes for loading and un-loading within the city of San Francisco. Short-term bus parking near the Aquarium is permitted for up to 2 hours in the following areas:
- The west side of Mason Street between Beach and North Point Streets
- The north side of North Point Street between Mason and Taylor Streets
- The east side of Hyde Street between Jefferson and Beach Streets
- The east side of Jones Street just north of Beach Street.
Aquarium of the Bay does not sell food or drinks. There are many eateries at PIER 39, or your group can bring bag lunches on their field trip. There is a lawn/park area with benches located along the waterfront immediately east of the Aquarium.
Other Things to Do and See
PIER 39 is one of San Francisco’s top destinations, with more than 110 stores, 11 full service restaurants, numerous entertainment attractions, and beautiful Bay views. For more information, phone 415-705-5500 or visit PIER 39's website.
Sea Lion Center:
Visit PIER 39’s famous sea lions and learn what makes these animals so amazing.
Blue and Gold Fleet at Pier 41:
Ferry service for Angel Island, Bay Cruise, Sausalito, Tiburon, Alameda/Oakland, and Vallejo. (415) 705-8200
Hyde Street Pier (National Park Service):
- Hyde Street @ Jefferson Street
- Historic Ships available 10:00am-5:00pm;
- Reservations required, phone 415-556-3002
- Students will have the opportunity to observe historical ships that have graced the waterfront throughout history. This trip is outdoors, and not appropriate during the rainy season.
- 900 Beach Street @ Polk Street.
- Open 10:00am-5:00pm
- Reservations required two weeks in advance, phone 415-556-3002
- The history of the Pacific Coast, San Francisco Bay, and the whaling industry are depicted in this wonderful museum. Students can enjoy the beach afterward at Aquatic Park, located behind the museum.
- Pier 45
- Open 9:00am-6:00pm
- Reservations required, phone 415-775-1943
- The USS Pampanito is a retired submarine docked at Pier 45. Students explore the submarine's intricate interior on this guided tour.
Ghirardelli Square at 900 North Point:
Historic Ghirardelli Square features specialty shops, award-winning restaurants, live entertainment, and the chocolate factory. For more information, phone 415-775-5500.
The Cannery at 2801 Leavenworth
Once the largest peach cannery in the world, The Cannery is home to distinctive stores, restaurants, cafes, and entertainment. For more information, phone 415-771-3112.